Ampang, Kuala Lumpur

Ampang's history is closely related to the history of Kuala Lumpur. In 1857, Raja Abdullah, a representative of the Selangor Sultanate, opened up the Klang Valley for tin prospectors. 87 Chinese prospectors went up the river Klang and began prospecting in the Ampang area, which was then jungle. Despite 69 of them dying due to the pestilential conditions, a thriving tin mine was established. Kuala Lumpur, along with Ampang, was made capital of Selangor in 1880 and the capital of the Federation of Malaysia in 1963.

There are many pre-war buildings along Ampang Road. The Eng Choon Assembly Hall on Ampang Road for example was built in 1930. Its inner structure was rebuilt to support a taller building within. Eu Tong Sen, a leading businessman in the early 1900s, built a villa in 1935 on Ampang Road. The same location was used by the British governmentas a military base. Over time it was renovated and reopened as theNational Art Gallery in 27 August 1958 and much later refurbished to become the Malaysia Tourism Centre (MaTiC). Eu Tong Sen also owned a tin mine in Ampang which was the first to install an electricity generator in 1914.
Founded in March 1896, the Selangor Turf Club's former horse racingvenue was one of the most popular landmarks in Ampang until it was demolished in 1 March 1997 to make way for the Petronas Twin Towers project.
Many pre-war and British colonial buildings were extensively renovated and modernised. Lack of clear guidelines 

BACK 

NEXT